Membership in the Faculty Club allows you privileges not available to anyone else. The benefits include and are not limited to:
- Friendly Fridays – a gathering of members, generally on the 1st Friday of the month, for complimentary hors d’oeuvres and/or buffet offerings (see monthly offerings under the Events section on the Faculty Club Web Page for menus).
- Lecture series offerings.
- Join the bowling league – sign up to a team and compete weekly late November through March.
- Monthly newsletter with monthly schedule and events.
- Discounted pricing on food and beverages at Club events.
- Facility rental for all your social events.
- Reciprocity with more than 100 national and international clubs, through the Association of College and University Clubs (ACUC).
- College Member: Upon employment at Williams, faculty and staff are automatically enrolled in the Faculty Club. Dues are waived for these members. This category also includes anyone who retires from Williams.
- Alumni Members: Alumni are eligible for membership without nomination.
- Community Members: This category includes anyone in the greater Williamstown community and membership is by nomination. In addition to filling out a membership application, these candidates for membership must be proposed and seconded by current club members, one of whom must be a College or Alumni member.
Dues are $140.00 per year.
More Faculty Club Facts:
Did you know that the Faculty Club and the Faculty House are two different entities??
Faculty Club vs. Faculty House
Recently, there’s been confusion about the mission of the Faculty Club and how it contributes to the life of the college. The Faculty House and Faculty Club are separate – the Faculty House is the physical structure, run by Dining Services, where events occur and lunches are provided at a discount. Dining Services is responsible for the building and caters many events in the space.
The Faculty Club is an organization run by a Board of Governors, providing programming to the Williams community: Faculty Lectures, Friendly Fridays, bowling, mystery book club, and WCMA patio events. Many, but not all, Club events are held in the Faculty House. Although students aren’t permitted to attend Friendly Fridays, they can attend lectures. Recent events have been co-sponsored by Sweetwood of Williamstown and WCMA, reflecting active efforts to collaborate with other community partners.
All Williams’ faculty, staff, and retirees are automatically members of the Faculty Club, as are their spouses/partners. Members of local communities pay annual dues to the Club to take part in Club programming. The Club has a modest budget for events. The President’s Office has historically provided some funding for Friendly Fridays, and other departments, such as Asian Studies, have co-sponsored events. All support is much appreciated by the Board, as Club programming could not happen without it.
The Board is a diverse group of faculty, staff, and community members dedicated to exploring ways to contribute to the Williams’ community and beyond. It is our hope to sponsor events that educate, provide a sense of fun that encourages community, and reflects the colleges’ mission of inclusion and diversity.
Williams College Faculty Club Board of Governors